- Council hosts Rural Maryland Day on February 11, 2016.
- We were successful in our efforts to attain funding for the Rural Maryland Prosperity Investment Fund (RMPIF) for the first time! On March 29, 2016, the Maryland Legislature passed the Fiscal Year 2017 State Operating Budget, which included funds, for the first time since its creation in 2006, to support RMPIF, a key step forward in addressing disparities in the State’s rural areas.
- Supported the successful passage of Program Open Space-Transfer Tax Repayment – Use of Funds (HB462). for the first time since its inception, the program will realize full funding and in Fiscal Year 2018 will be allocated $5 million for implementation of the Next Generation Farmland Acquisition Program.
- Hosted RMC Executive Board retreat in April 2016 to discuss strategic planning.
- During FY 2016, the MAERDAF Grants Review Board received 57 grant applications requesting a total of $866,450.75 in funding. The Board selected 16 rural-serving nonprofit organizations to receive $166, 968.00 in available funding.
- Rural Maryland Foundation hosts Farmland screenings in Easton, Denton, Cockeysville, Mt. Airy and Thurmont.
- RMC Health Care Committee releases report encouraging all Primary physicians include an evaluation for depression in their private office visits; review and revise roles of school nurses and counselors to assist in detecting signs of depression for possible medical attention and develop certifications programs in mental health to further enhance qualifications and offset the recognized physician shortage in addressing, treating or referring adolescents suffering from depression.